Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type of salt do you use?
AfricanCichlidForum > General Cichlid Discussion > Health Discussion
bk1300
Just wondering what everyone uses for salts in their tanks if any? Is epsom salt more of a medication to help flush out toxins?
Kristare09
No idea about that, I just use it to alter my GH
Ardan
epsom salt is a "laxative" in fish

for other treatments I use table salt

hth
Ardan
JoelandVicki
it is a laxative for humans too Nervous.gif
DragonKeeper
QUOTE(JoelandVicki @ Mar 14 2010, 06:05 AM) *
it is a laxative for humans too Nervous.gif

I use Morton's canning and pickeling salt as it has no added caking agents or other crap.

Keeper
neutrinoman
I don't add any salt with normal water changes. The exception is my front tank. After experimenting a little I found a bit of epsom salt seems to bring out a little more color. Epsom salt does raise water hardness but my water has enough hardness anyway.

Otherwise, I don't use salt except as a treatment for a problem, sodium chloride (aquarium salt, canning salt, etc.) for minor external scuffs, etc. (can also be used to help fish deal with nitrite in the tank) and epsom salt for internal problems.
Crowned
I use Rift Lake salt and sometimes epsom for treatment.
cichlidcasey
I am now using synthetic sea salt but used to use aquarium salt but since I got a saltwater tank I switched. I am now looking into cichlid salt. I wanted to know if it will make the fish look more vibrant or more lively. whacky.gif
cichlidcasey
bowdown.gif
QUOTE(Crowned @ Mar 18 2010, 08:48 PM) *
I use Rift Lake salt and sometimes epsom for treatment.
cichidsnorth
I use aquarium salt, i find it helps there immune system and stress
Isis
Cichlid salt
Larryochromis
I do not use any salt on my fish on a regular basis.
I do use salt to releive osmotic pressure (stress) on new arivals. It is slowly water changed out over a few weeks.
Having a lot of tanks and a lot of fish means that you have to save where you can, I use Premium Water Softening Salt, $6.99 for 20 kgs (44 lbs) Its a lot to have on ahnd for just a fewe tanks,but I know a lot of you here on this forum have more than
2 TANKS! th_38326493.gif
Been using this product for 25 years, so I guess that's a good recomendation!

Cheers,Larry
NotoriousSway
I have heard about people using water softener salt but I was always worried about additives in it and then I saw this (link below) is 99.8% pure and the other one says it contains neither YPS nor iodine and is NSF certified. Are these OK to use? Is one better than the other?

North American Sure Soft Pool Salt 40lb Bag

Sure Soft Premium Water Softener Salt Pellets 40 lb. bag

Also, Just to let people know Eposm Salt is not salt its Magnesium sulfate, which as stated is a laxative.
NotoriousSway
i found what I was looking for if anybody else was interested.

Mortan White CrystalŽ Solar Salt is 99.5% pure, it even says on their website that its safe for aquariums and ponds.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/#q8
http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/waterso...stal-solar.html
vman
I use 50/50 morton table salt with iodine & epsom salts @ a tablespoon per 10 gal double in breeder tanks ...
tfoster7189
I use Rift Lake salt. What I would like to know is, Is there a away that you can measure the amount of salt that is currently in your tank other than keeping track of the ammount added during water changes? What I mean is, Can you use a hydrometer like what is used for salt tanks? Or will the little amount of salt that is added not have a enough of a measurable specific gravity to make the needle float on the hydrometer. Can you use a refactometer? If so, to what scale would the amount of salt be measured.
Crowned
I think the most accurate would be a TDS meter.
Lotsofafricancichlids
Why are you guys adding salt to a fresh water tank?
wrslrchiclids
Lotsofafricancichlids,
While it is a freshwater tank, the rift valley lakes that African cichlids come from have a pretty high amount of salt, I believe it is high enough to even be considered brackish water. I don't remember off hand the amounts (it varies by location and lake) because I don't use salt. Most would agree that salt is not required, especially since most of the fish we keep are tank born and raised. But, if you have wild caught fish then it may be a bit more necessary - or at least smart to slowly wean them down to "pure" freshwater.

I used to use some salt because my LFS advised it and said that it would help bring out the color and "natural" behavior. After about 4 months of using salt (seachem's rift lake salt) the only change was that one of my fish got sick (and then got better). I am in no way saying the salt caused the sickness - just that there was no color or behavior change.

I now only use salt as a mild treatment when necessary, which isn't that often.

Hope I helped.
tfoster7189
Actually, from what I have read, the salt content of lake Malawi & Tangynika aren't as high as what was believed to be fact some years ago. Larry should be able to let us know, since he has dived there. I use it more as a disease preventative. If you someone does decide to start using it in their tanks it should either be (1) added during initial setup or (2) worked in with water changes. Don't expect to just, one day, decide that you are going to use salt in your tank and then add the full dose to what the manufacturer recommends. That will definitely make your fish sick.
wrslrchiclids
Now that you mention it I remember reading something somewhere about the salt being lower than thought. Thanks for the correction.
Crowned
Here is a Link that covers the chemical composition of the Rift lakes.

From this and other reports I've read, the actual salt (NaCl) content is relatively low, but there is a large amount of mineral salts.

neutrinoman
I agree. From everything science based that I've read, the notion of the lakes having a lot of salt, meaning sodium chloride, or that they're nearly brackish is a common hobbyist misunderstanding of the fact that there are minerals in the water, also a confusion of salt in the common sense of sodium chloride with the broader meaning of mineral salts, which in the rift lakes involves the levels of calcium, magnesium and other elements present in varying levels in many freshwater lakes.

According to a simple definition mineral salts are inorganic elements that turn to ash when burned. It's a similar misunderstanding to someone hearing it said that an object in space has organic compounds and thinking this means evidence of biological activity, when organic simply means carbon containing. Carbon is one of the more common elements in the universe, and simple non-biological chemistry produces organic compounds all the time. It's actually a great leap between such relatively simple processes and anything biological.

Here is a Link that covers the chemical composition of the Rift lakes.
Good link. Here's another where I saved some related information. One point is that some hydro-acoustic studies have been done in Lake Tanganyika specifically because it's salinity is considered low and another link in the thread accesses a graph showing the African great lakes salinity as basically the same as the US great lakes-- all of them classified as freshwater.
Tommyusa
Aquarium Salt VS. Morton White Crystal Solar salt ~ Same salt, came out from same factory. Just look at MSDS and ask Morton about it.
1lbs aquarium salt VS 50 lbs for same price.

Therefore, I use Morton White Crystal Solar salt. Whoever use aquarium salt must not understanding the saving.
tfoster7189
Tommy, That's the idea. $$$$ from uneducated or under educated new hobbyists.
Tommyusa
QUOTE(tfoster7189 @ Jan 4 2012, 04:27 PM) *
Tommy, That's the idea. $$$$ from uneducated or under educated new hobbyists.

Gotta cut down the cost, since keeping African cichlid quite expensive.
Ck986
Where are you guys buying the solar salt? I am one of those newbies.
Tommyusa
Any grocery store, it came with 40 lbs bag for $5.99
malibu
i use epsom salt it totally controls any bloat issues before they happen. plus its great to have in the house for sprains or for soaking infections.
tamrissa
hmm i dont salt my tanks but use epsom for soaks for froggies if they are under the weather or if i buy an injured or sick one and try to save them as i always do. /bonks self

ive never used salt for an injury on a fish just melafix but might be worth trying some time. ive never heard of solar salt is it a us thing cause im in canada... will have to actively look for it next time im at the store!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.