zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do fins grow back?
post Oct 31 2011, 03:07 PM
Post #1
CHUCK W

I returned from being out of town for a week to find that one of my yellow labs is missing his tail fins. No tail fins at all but swiims and eats ok. Do fins grow back?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Oct 31 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #2
wrslrchiclids

Veteran Member

I've never lost a whole fin, but have dealt with fin damage and IME they heal with proper care (and as long as whatever caused the damage doesn't keep causing damage).

Do you know how the fin was lost? If it was simply aggression then you probably need to figure out which fish is the problem. If it is a fungus or some other type of infection then you need to treat for that problem.

If it was simply aggression I would start with melafix, it has always helped speed recovery of these types of injuries for me. I also do not use full dosage because IME (and other's experience) it causes breathing problems and stressed the fish.

+Quote Post
post Oct 31 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #3
13RazorbackFan

Are any of the other fins on this fish missing or rotting away? Like Wrslrchiclids said...melafix usually helps.

+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #4
neutrinoman

Admin

Pretty much agree with above. Whole tail fin missing can grow back but doesn't in every case. To some degree it may depend on how much flesh at the root of the tail was chewed off, but also I've read some science articles on this that more or less concluded a lot has to do with the initial period after the damage and found that, in effect, there's a window of opportunity that can pass for this somewhat complex process (involving special cells, chemical triggers and signals, etc.). One key is to inhibit attack on the injury by bacteria and some studies implied that energy availability for healing as opposed to energy being lost to stress, for example, is a factor.

In other words, quick action may make a difference, including keeping the water very clean and keeping stress low as possible. Melafix can help ime. Somewhat forgotten (since Melafix came on the scene) is aloe vera, which some people swear by in healing scrapes and wounds on fish.

This post has been edited by neutrinoman: Nov 1 2011, 12:57 AM

+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2011, 01:02 PM
Post #5
CHUCK W

I do not have a hospital tank so is it ok to add melafix to the community tank?

+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #6
wrslrchiclids

Veteran Member

Not a problem at all, but IME it is best to do about a half dose (work up to it, don't add all of it at once). Full doses tend to cause breathing and some other minor problems in my tank. These "side effects" don't occur with smaller doses, but I still get the same results.

One other benefit with melafix is that is doesn't affect the beneficial bacteria in your filter, unlike many other medicines. So, while a hospital tank would save some money (you could use less medicine), it is not a problem at all to add to the whole tank.

+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2011, 06:30 PM
Post #7
CHUCK W

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the melafix. Under closer examination, the other fins look pretty good and I noticed what appeared to be a nip in his back just below the dorsal fin. I've got a red zebra that's acting aggressive (for the first time), so I think he might be the cause of the tail damage.

+Quote Post
post Nov 1 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #8
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

One more note that I didn't see metioned. I would remove your Activated Carbon if you are using carbon. It will probably absorb the Melafix. Just use a filter pad or floss.

I have a 29 gal. tank setup as my hospital tank and it has an Marineland Eclipse 3 hood. I took an old used up cartridge and stripped the old floss off, removed the carbon and place it back in the hood with a reusable filter pad cut to size. If you are using a premade filter media, the same concept will work.

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Nov 1 2011, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
post Nov 15 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #9
CHUCK W

Melafix worked. The tailfin is growing back and it also healed a sore on my bumblebee's face. Good stuff.

+Quote Post
post Sep 12 2012, 05:31 AM
Post #10
Sha1khi1

If you do what you need to you will be surprised how fast it will grow back. Add a few tablespoons of aquarium salt to your tank. I don't know much about cichlids, might go to your local petsmart or petco. I suggest you go to a corporate pet store Instead of a locally owned store. Also buy some liquid fish stress slime to put a extra stress coaton the fish.(it sounds like it will stress them out the way I explained it but it relieves the fish of stress.) In a day or to after you put salt and stuff in the fish should be healthier then ever. You have to act quick though so do what you can as soon as you can. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 05:49 PM