zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Catfish for African Tank
post Feb 25 2011, 03:40 AM
Post #1
wrslrchiclids

Veteran Member

I was wondering if there were any good catfish (not plecos) that I can put into my tank? I used to have one that was pretty large and I really like him, but a mishap occurred and he died along with a few other fish. I believe he was a pictus catfish, but I am not sure. I planned on getting another pictus since they seem popular and enjoyable, but after researching I am not so sure. Will a pictus be ok with African cichlids? I read in some places (but not all) that they are not "tough" enough. I don't have tons of agression in my tank, but that could change with the addition of the catfish (I assume). I have read that Synodontis are good, but are there other catfish that would also work? I am looking for one that won't get massive, but I am going to be upgrading to a larger tank soon (probably a 125gal!! th_38326493.gif yay.gif ). If I don't end up upgrading, I have a buddy that can take the catfish if it gets too big. He has multiple large tanks, and some are just for catfish! smile.gif

Thanks

Tank: 55gal

3 Iodotropheus sprengerae
4 Metriaclima estherae
2 Jewel Cichlids (rehoming soon after learning that they probably should not be included in my tank)
1 Sciaenochromis fryeri
1 OB Zebra
3 Pseudotropheus socolofi
4 Cynotilapia afra sp. "Red Top"
1 albino bristlenose pleco

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Feb 25 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #2
Crowned

Have never kept pictus cats, but have read mixed reviews on how they will do in a Malawi tank.

I've kept Synodontis eupterus in the past and they did very well. Am considering trying Synodontis nigriventris (upside down catfish).

+Quote Post
post Feb 28 2011, 04:27 AM
Post #3
wrslrchiclids

Veteran Member

Thanks Crowned for the response. I was expecting a few more people to comment, but I guess not too many people keep catfish with their cichlids. No problem...

I decided to go with the Synodontis erupterus. My LFS had both the featherfin (erupterus) and upside down catfish, but the upside down catfish were only about 1-1.5 inches and probably would have gotten destroyed by my larger cichlids.

Thanks again, and if anyone else would like to comment on any catfish they keep with African cichlids that would be great!!

+Quote Post
post May 24 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #4
Crowned

How's the Syno doing?

I recently picked up an upside downer. So entertaining to watch. Originally put it in a Tang tank, but the pesky Brichardi wouldn't give it a break. banghead.gif

So went in a Malawi tank and is happy as a clam...

+Quote Post
post May 24 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #5
Haile Selassie I

My absolute favorite is the Synodontis Angelicus.

Mine is black with yellow spots... they are full of personality and can definitely hold their own against much bigger ACs.

+Quote Post
post Aug 22 2011, 11:36 PM
Post #6
Misterted

Old post but the most common Catfish people add to African Cichlid tanks are Synodontis Multipunctatus and Synodontis Petricola.
A lot of people also add various Plecos, but the ones that eat Veggies and not meat since most African Cichlids are Herbivores.

+Quote Post
post Sep 5 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #7
CichidfreAk

I had 2 upside down cats. Dont know ifntheyre the species u are talki g about. They did not get along whatsoever. Had to get rid of one cuz it bout died...they are very territorial. I know with experience from catfish.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 11:58 AM