zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Meet Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson is perhaps best known for his frequent dives at Lake Malawi along with Ad Konings, Pam Chin, and others. One of the founding members of the Canadian Rift Lake Cichlid Association (CRLCA), Larry is a fishroom manager for Big Al's Aquarium Services in Hamilton, Ontario Canada and has been keeping cichlids since 1975. In his spare time Larry can be found at local fish club meetings such as Hamilton & District Aquarium Society, CRLCA, and others across North America....either speaking or attending. A published author of informative articles and intriguing photographs of Malawian cichlids in the wild, we are truly honored and grateful for Larry's contributions to AfricanCichlidForum.com.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Updated Fish Room Pics, New Centre Row
post May 16 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #1
Larryochromis

Site Advisor

Hi Gang,here are some updated pictures,,,the water is in but the pump will be coming next week!

This is what you see when entering the room, these tanks on the centre row are on your right. I have built around the centre
support post for the basement and you can see the other side has smaller 10 gallon tanks and on the top shelf there are 8-5 gallon tanks.

A bit better shot here of the "skinny side" of the tanks there. The large space below them is for my sump which is still "curing" as it was
made on Thursday. There were other things to do so it will sit for a few more days before being installed.

This is the other side of the centre row. The white piping was cut up tonight to be installed for the "water returns", this was taken from
a Pet Shop I helped clear out a couple months ago. The top shelf above the 40's is for small fry tanks.

Lots of space for small tanks up top and the 5 gallon tanks will be "on-line" with the 40's. The water will be heated in the sump, so even the small tanks on line will get temperature correct water.The upper drain is 3 inch,,,a bit over done but the 3 inch fit perfect between the two sides.
This top shelf is a bit wider than 18 inches and is 9 feet long.

Here's an end veiw of the plumbing, its actually simple when you have to think about it! The water leaves via the bulkhead and elbows down 90o into a 1 1/2 inch hose, this hose fits into a 4 inch drain pipe that has a hole cut in it for the hose. The water then runs to the sump.
In the sump, the pump will return the water to the tanks,via 1 inch water lines that are run off a "T" fitting, reduced down to 1/2 inch before running into the tanks.Each line to each tank has a 1/2 ball valve to control the water flow.
This end (pictured) will be covered with plywood stained the same color, the end will also have a "pop out" table that is hindged about 33 inches from the floor,,,so it can be used for packing fish or using my laptop while doing water changes!

Well its almost done now,the returns are almost done,so the rest is fairly easy and will not take much time.
The extra triming can be done later after the 50's get installed,but I'm waiting on the bulkheads for those tanks,so who knows when everything will finally be done!
After that, the floor has to be painted again,,,then I can rest for a few days,,,the honey dew list is getting longer by the day! fies010.gif

Cheers,Larry

This post has been edited by Larryochromis: May 16 2010, 11:33 PM

--------------------
*Malawi Cichlid Imports*

I don't breed my fish,I let them do all the work!

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #2
cichidsnorth

Advanced Member

looks and sounds well thought out! Man u must have a hell of a hydro bill with that many tanks!

+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #3
Crowned

The whole project is looking great and I agree with cichidsnorth that it was well planned.

I see the stand joints are lag bolted. What are the screws that are near them for?

+Quote Post
post May 16 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #4
Larryochromis

Site Advisor

You might be surprised about the hydro smile.gif
We got our "Smart Meter" installed last year,,,billing was still like the old meter( 2 average billings and one actual every three months) up until the last 3 months,,,since I have started the new addition the lights have been on almost everyday all day long while working in the room.
The heat is still coming on and my hydro bill is "up to the minute" with this new meter,,,and it is still running about
$200 per month.
In the City it would be cheaper,the rate is lower in high density area's, Hamilton Hydro as opposed to Ontario Hydro in rural area's.
I had been thnking of doing this project for a long time and new exactly what I wanted to do with the space,,,the skinny side although last minute, had a few challenges but worked out better than I thought it would.
The other side of the skinny isle may get done next year,,,it was the newest addition but I can fit things differently and want to do a "sump system" there as well,,,came up with some good idea's about where the sump would go. Actually the sump sticks out one end (into the entrance way a bit) and would be contained into a large wooden box with a piano hindge that allows entrance to the filter. The outside would be nicely done, the inside water proofed and insulated and a cushion on top for guests to sit on! So it would be more like furniture and another plus side would be muffling the sound of water! Ran that past a few friends over the last few weeks and they like the idea. The bench/filter would only stick out from the wall maybe 24 inches.
So that might be next years addition,,,now that section is 24 inches wide (tanks are placed front to back,you look thru the end of the tanks) and I would cut down the cross braces to either 18 inches or 12 inches,,,then the skinny isle would not be so skinny,,,,adding 6 or 12 inches to that isle.
Stilll thinking though fies010.gif

Cheers,Larry

This post has been edited by Larryochromis: May 16 2010, 10:40 PM

--------------------
*Malawi Cichlid Imports*

+Quote Post
post May 21 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #5
Danny

Advanced Member

looking good as always

+Quote Post
post May 25 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #6
Larryochromis

Site Advisor

Thanks Danny!
Should be finished soon,got the water return lines in today.

Cheers,Larry

--------------------
*Malawi Cichlid Imports*

+Quote Post
post May 26 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #7
white trash

Veteran Member

Nice room Larry. The engineer in me is going "hope he checked the allowable bearing pressure of the soil his house is sitting on!" tongue.gif

So when will you have a website up and running selling some of the bound to be gorgeous fry and wild caughts from your fish room? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
post May 27 2010, 12:27 AM
Post #8
Larryochromis

Site Advisor

Nice room Larry. The engineer in me is going "hope he checked the allowable bearing pressure of the soil his house is sitting on!"

LOL,,,never thought of that but I'm on hard clay soil and the house hasn't moved since it was built in 1951!
So when will you have a website up and running selling some of the bound to be gorgeous fry and wild caughts from your fish room?

Ya, another sore point, I need to over haul the site,,as I have run out of room. An "off site" photo site to link the pictures to would be better,then I could use the space to post more pages and Safaris Years.
The wifes list is next,,,gotta get that done now the nice weather is here.
I have a shipment coming in from Tanzania soon,,,so that list could be a long one. The problem of shipping to the U.S. never ceases though,,,,I get weekly inquiries.

Cheers,Larry

--------------------
*Malawi Cichlid Imports*

+Quote Post
post May 27 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #9
white trash

Veteran Member

US makes it tough to ship livestock over?

+Quote Post
post May 28 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #10
Larryochromis

Site Advisor

Yes the problem is not from this side of the boarder, but I understand there is a lot of red tape in your side.
I am willing to send any of my fish to you, but its up to you to figure out the Red Tape at your end and which airport has the Fish And Wildlife people to clear the fish.
The same thing is starting to happen up here,,,fish reulations,,,they are using the excuse that disease and different bacteria's could affect local native fish populations.
It seems that Goldfish and Koi will be the most affected species so far,but they are wanting "permits" that would cost money,so to me its just another "money grab".
Luckily African Cichlids have not even been mentioned so far!

Cheers,Larry

--------------------
*Malawi Cichlid Imports*

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 11:39 AM