zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tanganykia Stocking Ideas
post Aug 13 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #1
beebass

55 Gallon

Open Water:
12 Cyprichromis leptosoma

Rocks & Caves:
2 Eretmodus cyanostictus

Shells:
6-8 Neolamprologus Multifaciatus

So this is what i have so far.
I'm really excited about all three of these species. Is there anything else I should/could add or would this be a good start?

I was thinking of having a shell pile on one side. with the middle be open and a rock tower on the right side. This scares me though because it seems like it would look pretty unnatural! Any advice on aqua scaping?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Aug 13 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #2
beebass

I think i would like to add 2 Chalinochromis brichardi to the list. Or if there is something else that would hang out in the mid section of the rock pile. the cypriochromis will be at the top/middle right. and the ertemodus is be hanging on the ground, and the multis in there area of shells.

+Quote Post
post Aug 14 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #3
beebass

Could I get away with
Open Water:
12 Cyprichromis leptosoma

Rocks & Caves:
2 Julidochromis or more if I cut the chalinochromis
2 Chalinochromis brichardi <-- Could live without these

Shells:
6-8 Neolamprologus Multifaciatus

+Quote Post
post Aug 14 2012, 03:38 AM
Post #4
Wyomingite

I think I'd choose either the Julidochromis or the Chalinochromis, cut to 9 cyps and keep with the smaller varieties, and go with 8-10 multies.

WYite

--------------------
So many fish, so few tanks.

+Quote Post
post Aug 14 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #5
beebass

QUOTE(Wyomingite @ Aug 14 2012, 02:38 AM) *
I think I'd choose either the Julidochromis or the Chalinochromis, cut to 9 cyps and keep with the smaller varieties, and go with 8-10 multies.

WYite

I'm fine with dropping the chialinochromis, but ive read multiply places cyps should be in a group of at least 12.

+Quote Post
post Aug 14 2012, 12:17 PM
Post #6
Wyomingite

Over the years I've found having X individuals of a certain fish in a group is less important than maintaining a functional group. Having exactly four, six, nine, twelve, fifteen or thirty individuals, ensuring I have groups in multiples of three or five, or keeping odd-numbered/even-numbered schools IME is irrelevant. I spent years trying to keep fish at the "perfect" numbers and found the fish really don't care. The important thing is ensuring the fish are in a school, pair, harem, etc. situation appropriate to their natural behavior. I know numerous people who've whittled their cyps to a harem with good results. But I'm not going to get into an argument over popular dogma.

I always have better luck with lighter stocking rates in most of my tanks (mbuna excepted), and ya run out of volume in a 55 gallon tank pretty quick. The cyps is the best place IMO to make a stocking reduction as having the julies and multies in the same tank will dampen the cyps skittishness if they're in a smaller school.

WYite

This post has been edited by Wyomingite: Aug 14 2012, 12:19 PM

--------------------
So many fish, so few tanks.

+Quote Post
post Aug 14 2012, 12:47 PM
Post #7
beebass

QUOTE(Wyomingite @ Aug 14 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Over the years I've found having X individuals of a certain fish in a group is less important than maintaining a functional group. Having exactly four, six, nine, twelve, fifteen or thirty individuals, ensuring I have groups in multiples of three or five, or keeping odd-numbered/even-numbered schools IME is irrelevant. I spent years trying to keep fish at the "perfect" numbers and found the fish really don't care. The important thing is ensuring the fish are in a school, pair, harem, etc. situation appropriate to their natural behavior. I know numerous people who've whittled their cyps to a harem with good results. But I'm not going to get into an argument over popular dogma.

I always have better luck with lighter stocking rates in most of my tanks (mbuna excepted), and ya run out of volume in a 55 gallon tank pretty quick. The cyps is the best place IMO to make a stocking reduction as having the julies and multies in the same tank will dampen the cyps skittishness if they're in a smaller school.

WYite

Excellent thank you so much for your response.

+Quote Post
post Sep 7 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #8
BioG

a tip for your cyps: In a 55 the less males you have the better. Females tend to waste away when their are too many males trying to mate with them. I keep 2 males in a 6 foot tank with 8 females for example. 2 males would probably be fine in your setup but 1 would be even better.

And why no calvus?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 02:22 AM
avana dapoxetine