zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cycling question
post May 23 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #1
smcpherson25

I currently have a empty aquarium that i am going to be setting up for a some Tangs. Allready have everything i need accept the sand, well and of course fish :D
Im going to be getting 6 Alto. Calvus, 6 Neolamp. Caudopunctatus and 8-10 Cyp. Leptosoma (non-jumbo). I dont want to get them at the same time because it will be to much of a bio-load. My question is which group would you consider to be the most hardy that i should use to help cycle the tank? or would you suggest just doing a fish-less cycle? Thanks for the help.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post May 23 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #2
Crowned

I'd either do fish-less, or go with a group of fish you can take back for credit. Rainbow fish and zebra danios are a couple of popular choices.

+Quote Post
post Sep 7 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #3
BioG

+1 to a fishless cycle. Don't use fish of any kind as they will likely bring some nasties into your tank with them. I've always used seachem balance with great success but if you are patient, unlike me, then just put a cup or glass with a bunch of fish food in it into the tank and wait.

I'm not promising anything but in 20 years in the hobby I have never had "bio Load" problems. I'm sure it would happen if you went crazy and added waymore fish than the tank could handle but I have added a dozen or so juvies many times with no problems.

After you are cycled, adding the calvus and caudos at once wouldn't be a problem imo. Cyps are the least hardy of the three you mentioned.

Don't cycle without your sand in the tank. We always picture our good bacteria congregating in our filters, and it does, but the majority of the good stuff lives in the sand ;)
for example, you can change out a filter with little effect but take cycled sand out and you will have problems evtime.

also, don't buy wet sand, it's a joke. The bacteria you want needs oxygen and nutrients to propogate and so a sealed bag of wet sand is just prerinsed

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 03:04 PM
avana dapoxetine