zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yellow lab is holding
post Oct 26 2013, 11:48 PM
Post #1
CichlidNewbie

Hey guy,
I have a yellow lab hiding in the rock. I finally able to see that she is holding today laugh.gif . Should I disturb her by moving the rocks and take her out? She is in a 125g tank with dual overflow with n other filter. This is my first time having frye. Please advise. Thank you.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Nov 3 2013, 01:31 PM
Post #2
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

You are going to get mixed answers on this, but here is my 2 cents.

If you are wanting to keep as many fry as possible, then yes, remove her to a holding tank. I, myself, do not move my females when they are holding, but I am not interested in keeping the fry. I feel, what makes it, makes it. What doesn't, doesn't.

If you have no interest in raising the fry yourself, but would like to give them the best chance at survival, I would add a couple of smaller rock piles to your tank. Make sure to keep the crevices fairly small so that none of the larger fish can get at the fry if they use the rock piles. I have found that the fry are the most desirable, to the larger fish, when the mother first releases them from her mouth. Once they are established in the tank, for a couple of weeks, the other fish pretty much will leave them alone. However, the Yellow Lab fry stick out like a sore thumb compared to fry that have a duller look, which makes them easier for the larger fish to spot.

If you do decide to leave them in the main tank, don't be surprised if some of them end up in your overflow chambers. You will want to purchase some tube screens for your overflow tubes if you don't already have them. I have even found fry in my sump.

I hope this helps.

+Quote Post
post Nov 4 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #3
CichlidNewbie

thank you for your advice. I will add more small rocks to the tank because I cant catch the yellow lad without removing all the rock out of the tank.

+Quote Post
post Nov 5 2013, 09:19 PM
Post #4
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

Make sure to add quite a few piles of rocks with small crevices, but not so small that once the fry start to grow they can't get out of or back into the pile. The more piles you have, the better the chance for them getting used and the better the chance of getting quite a few fry to survive. But there are no guarantees.

+Quote Post
post Nov 6 2013, 11:12 AM
Post #5
neutrinoman

Admin

+1. Creating nooks and crevices that other fish can't get into is a way to give fry a chance to survive. You may also be able to create a small protected area, surrounded or closed off by rocks. Beyond that it's up to the fry and how smart they are to stay out of harm's way.

Another way I've created such a fry nook is with a tangle of small driftwood branches. (I collect my own.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 04:51 AM
avana dapoxetine