zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 55 gallon Stocking Questions
post May 12 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #1
smcpherson25

After years of dealing with larger Central American Cichlids I have decided to try out some cichlids from Lake Tanganyika. My goal is to achieve a community that will peacefully live together and act naturally without constant harrassment from tankmates. I understand that if breeding occures it will increase aggression, that i can deal with. What I dont want is constant fighting.

I was thinking something along the lines of a group of Cyprichromis leptosoma for the top/open water, a small group of Altolamprologus calvus for the rock/cave areas (I have read they are less aggressive than Alto. comp?) and a small group of Telatochromis bifrenatus or brichardi, or a small group of Lamprologus ornatpinnis for shell dwelling species. Also was thinking maybe a group of Cyprichromis, small group of Altolamps and small group of the ornatpinnis or small group of Neolamprolgus signatus.

Id also be up for other suggestions as to what i could combine with a the calvus.

I guess im just looking for a combination of some of these or other cichlids that i could have with the calvus being the main fish and have them act naturally and not have constant fighting in the tank. All of the Central American cichlids i've delt with are pair forming cichlids and i've read a lot of Africans instead form groups, so I would also need an idea of the numbers of each cichlid i would need to buy at 1-1.5" in size.

Thank you in advance for your help!

This post has been edited by smcpherson25: May 12 2012, 01:54 PM

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post May 13 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #2
smcpherson25

nobody?

+Quote Post
post May 13 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #3
Crowned

Hey smcpherson25, welcome to ACF!! wave.gif

Nice to see you have done some homework. What size tank?

+Quote Post
post May 13 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #4
smcpherson25

Thanks Crowned . It is a standard (US) 55 gallon. 48" long, 13" wide, 20-21" deep

This post has been edited by smcpherson25: May 13 2012, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
post May 13 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #5
Wyomingite

Always been more of a mbuna guy, but have kept a few Tanganyikans in the past and starting to get into 'em more and more. I'll give ya my experience and opinion.

In a 55 gallon, a small group of cyps should be fine regardless of what other species ya choose, as long as they are of a size appropriate to a 55 gallon tank. They'd be fine with both species of Telmatochromis and the ornatipinnis, though they might snipe some fry. I really enjoyed T. brichardi when I had 'em. I had a half dozen in a 55 with what started (unintentionally) as a breeding pair of Neolamprologus brichardi. Even after the N. brichardi colony expanded, two pairs of the T. brichardi continued to spawn, although none of the latter's fry ever avoided being eaten for too long. The adults handled themselves well with the larger N. brichardi. They never went too far from their chosen rock piles, so I see no issues with keepin' them with cyps.

The Altolamprologus species is where I stumble, LOL. I've kept A. compressiceps with larger lamprologines, but never with shellies. I've seen pics of smaller compressiceps in the same tank as shellies. My concern would be when the compressiceps are full grown. I've seen plenty of 5"-6" compressiceps, and they have large mouths. IME, if a cichlid thinks it can fit something that moves into its mouth, it will try to eat it. Ya definitely want second opinions on the compressiceps. :)

Another option with the shellies might be a Julidochromis sp., such as J. ornatus or J. transcriptus. A pair of julies with a small colony of shellies, completed by a school of cyps would make a nice set-up for a 55.

Cheers,

WYite

--------------------
So many fish, so few tanks.

+Quote Post
post May 14 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #6
Crowned

I used to keep Altolamprologus calvus yellow, Neolamprologus cylindricus, and Lamprologus meleagris. There were lots of smaller shells and a few bigger ones for the calvus. Also had a couple rock piles for the Neolamps. The male calvus could be a pita at times, but overall wasn't too bad.

They were in a smaller tank than yours, so IMO your stocking ideas should be fine. I'd probably go with 10 cyps, and 4-6 of the other species. As they mature you can then tweak the stock level to your liking. Rock dwellers will have to be watched closely when they start pairing off.

+Quote Post
post May 14 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #7
smcpherson25

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
post May 15 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #8
smcpherson25

I think im going to try getting 5-6 Alto. calvus, 4 Juli. ornatus or transcriptus and either 8 Neolamp. caudopunctatus or 'Lamprologus' ornatipinnis.
Sand substrate, maybe mixed with a little crushed coral, make some rockpiles and caves, some clay pots and some shells at each end of the tank.
I do have another tank (standard US 30 gallon) that i can have on standby, incase once maturity and pairs form there is to much aggression. Im also looking into getting a 75 gallon too.

What do you guys think?

+Quote Post
post May 17 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #9
Crowned

Sounds like a plan. Post some pics when they have settled in their new home!

+Quote Post
post May 17 2012, 08:12 PM
Post #10
smcpherson25

will do, but its going to be a little while. i need to do a little more research, get some supplies and then i'll have to cycle. will put up some pics though when i get everything set.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 08:05 AM
avana dapoxetine