zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brichardi Parenting
post Jun 15 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #1
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

I have 3 Brichardi cichlids in my tank. About 2 weeks ago I noticed some baby guppy sized fry swimming in the are that they like to hang out at. Yesterday, I took a long glance throughout the tank while I was feeding them and noticed those same fry swimming in the same are with the Brichardi parents swimming with them.

So, my question is this:

Do the Brichardi's have a much stronger parenting bond that the mbuna's?

I surely would have thought that the fry would have gotten eaten by now. But the parents hang close to them and show no desire to make a quick snack out of them.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 16 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #2
Crowned

Neolamprologus brichardi are incredible parents and vigorously defend their fry.

+Quote Post
post Oct 5 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #3
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

I know that I originally did this post some time ago, but I have a couple of more questions regarding this fish species.

(1) Are they mouth broaders or are they substrate spawners? For some reason, I am thinking that they are substrate spawners because I have yet to see the females holding the eggs in her mouth.

(2) Will the females share the parenting responsibilities of each others fry?

As I listed in a previous post, I have 2 females and 1 male. The male will swim between the 2 females to help her ward off any threats, but I have also noticed different fry (size wise) with the same female

(3) Do they have a quick turnaround time between spawns?

If the above isn't true (females sharing responsibilities), then their time between spawns must be pretty short. Before the fry are even a .25 to .375 of an inch, I will have more fry with the same female.

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Oct 5 2011, 08:08 PM

+Quote Post
post Oct 5 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #4
neutrinoman

Admin

Looks like you've got it figure out. cool.gif

They are substrate spawners, are a schooling species given the opportunity (they form large schools in the wild), and collectively raise the fry, including earlier babies helping with the newer fry. An interesting fish!

+Quote Post
post Jan 20 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #5
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

Here is another question.

Last evening, while I was feeding my fish, I was watching the fry (yet another batch) swimming in near proximity of their parents and I noticed 1 that looked nothing like the rest. I am guessing, because of the yellow coloring, that it was a yellow lab. fry. Is it possible that it snuck in there with the Brichardi fry, for protection, without the parents noticing or caring? If this is what happened, then I guess that I have a smart fish on my hands. I'll try to capture a video of him and get it posted on here this weekend.

+Quote Post
post Jan 22 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #6
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

Here is that video link that I said that I would post on here regarding the Yellow Labidochromis fry living among the Brichardi fry.

Please let me know what you think and Please forgive the crude cinematography. This was my wife's camera that I am not use to operating.

I hope that this works.

Yellow Labidochromis fry w/ Brichardi fry

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Jan 22 2012, 12:54 AM

+Quote Post
post Jan 25 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #7
Crowned

Have not seen that before. Looks to me like the brichardi swarm are hanging out in the lab's hiding spot area and the lab is taking advantage of it.

Pretty neat to watch. Are they still hanging together?

+Quote Post
post Jan 25 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #8
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

Actually, it's the Yellow Lab. fry that is in the Brichardi's territory. The parents claimed that space last year when I set the tank up. There is a female on each side of that rock and the male swims back and forth between the two sides to help both females ward off the other fish in the tank when they get too close to the fry. Both parents do a good job at it to. The other fish in the tank steer clear of that area for the most part, except for, maybe, a quick pass thru to escape from being chased by another fish.

As of last night, that Yellow Lab. fry was still their. It seems like, at this point, the parents don't mind. They probably do not consider it a threat do to it's small size.

I guess that it has figured out that their is "Safety in Numbers".

Over the last couple of years, it is the only Lab. fry that I have ever seen in the tank. I think that the yellow coloration causes them to stand out and makes them a target.

+Quote Post
post Jan 25 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #9
wrslrchiclids

Veteran Member

I would agree with the "target" comment. I have seen many yellow lab fry in my tank, but they never stay very long - but I have had multiple rusty fry grow up in the tank. I do currently have one yellow lab fry that I really hope is going to make it. He is growing quickly and has the perfect hiding spot for now. Guess time will tell.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:09 AM
avana dapoxetine