zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Frontosa Keeper, New to keeping Frontosa
post Jun 25 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #21
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

The person that I bought them from finally got back to me as to what variant they are. They told me that they are Kampampa's which is the Zaire variant. They stated that they are more hardy variant that will color up more as they grow. Is this a pretty commion variant? From the photos that Heather had on her post, I would have sworn that they are Burundi's. I hope others will chime in as to their thoughts about this.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2011, 03:55 PM
Post #22
neutrinoman

Admin

Unless those photos are misleading they look Burundi to me. In that type of light it's hard to judge their true color, so I'm going mostly by what looks more like a solid stripe through the eye as opposed to a mask-- true Zaires (or full blooded rather than mixed) should have what looks roughly like a checkerboard pattern on the forehead, also a bar horizontal to the eye across the 'nose'. Can you get clearer/closer photos of the head? What kind of price were they?

As far as Kapampas or Zaires being inherently more hardy than other fronts, that's nonsense... or maybe salesmanship. Maybe whoever it was actually believes it for some reason but fronts in general are pretty hardy fish and I've had both Kapampa and Burundi (and Kigoma) and I've seen no difference in that respect... maybe if you get some of the poorly bred Burundi you sometimes see at lfs, they will have more problems, but even then the difference seems more cosmetic than health based.

This post has been edited by neutrinoman: Jun 25 2011, 04:04 PM

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2011, 03:58 PM
Post #23
neutrinoman

Admin

Maybe this will help. At one point I temporarily had a Burundi in my Kapampa tank and had taken this side by side shot for comparison.

This post has been edited by neutrinoman: Jun 25 2011, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
post Jun 25 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #24
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

Neutrinoman,

Based on the 2 fish in your photo, I'd say, mine look more like the far one rather than the near one.

+Quote Post
post Jun 26 2011, 07:06 PM
Post #25
neutrinoman

Admin

Sounds consistent with your photos, then, where they look like Burundi imo. In my photo you can see the checkerboard-like pattern I mentioned above in the foreground fish, which is the Kapampa, and the solid eye stripe in the background fish (Burundi). Also, in Zaires, the stripe tends to taper below the eye onto the cheek. However they are still only showing 5 stripes. The stripe thru their face is very light. Is this normal for Mpimbwe. How far this marking goes down the cheek will vary with individual Zaire (and sometimes with mood), sometimes ending not much below the eye.

If you can see them well enough you could count the rows of scales between their upper and lower lateral lines. Kapampa will pretty clearly have 3 rows of scales, Burundi will have two. If you get some of each it could be they're mixed or cross-bred.

...I've seen people who didn't really know fronts that will get fooled if they see Burundi with a lot of blue or a deep blue, being accustomed to the typical lfs Burundi that are typically mostly black and white with a little blue in the fins and maybe some faint blue on the face, etc. But some Burundi-- or any of the northern six stripe frontosa that may not technically be collected in Burundi but are typically labeled Burundi, or are what some call Burundi type--can have a lot of blue... I've occasionally seen people mislabel these as a Mpimbwe or a Zaire or, at times, intentionally mis-identify them as such.

...So far, sounds/looks like yours are Burundi... or possibly a mix.

+Quote Post
post Jul 7 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #26
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

They now seem to be getting used to the daylight bulbs. I'll try to get some better pics of them on here by the end of this weekend.

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Jul 7 2011, 09:11 PM

+Quote Post
post Dec 27 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #27
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

I thought that I would update this post.

I went to the basement this evening to feed the Fronts. and to also feed my wife's Koi and I ended up finding one of my Fronts. on the floor. It was dried out but not decomposed, so I think that it either happened late last night or sometime today. I don't understand how it could have jumped out. The tank is covered, all but about 1 to 2 inches along the back and the side of the tank in which I found it, is the side in which the overflow box is located. So, now I am down to 10 Fronts. I did have a problem with them getting into the overflow box when I first set the tank up, but I found that I had the overflow tubes too high, so I shortened them to keep the water level about 2 to 3 inches below the water level in the tank. I haven't had any issues since then.

Below are some photos of my existing Fronts, under daylight lighting, that I said that I would post. I don't think that they came out too bad considering that I took them with my smart phone. (Batteries are dead in the camera)

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Dec 27 2011, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
post Dec 28 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #28
neutrinoman

Admin

Looks like they're growing nicely. Looks like you've got a couple of big boys developing in your group. icon_thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 04:57 PM
avana dapoxetine