zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Frontosa Keeper, New to keeping Frontosa
post Jun 17 2011, 01:40 PM
Post #11
Crowned

I used to keep a group of Burundi Frontosa. Fed them a variety of Aquadine sinking wafers as the staple, and treated with freeze dried krill which they would hit at the surface. Never had any problems with float. I agree with neutrinoman that the main culprit of float is stress.

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jun 17 2011, 03:21 PM
Post #12
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

They now seem more accepting of the NLS sinking pellets that I have been feeding them. As soon as I drop some in, they start toward the top to meet it rather than letting it go to the bottom and ignoring it. What does fall to the bottom is now readily devoured.

Maybe it just took them some time to get used to their new surroundings.

+Quote Post
post Jun 17 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #13
neutrinoman

Admin

QUOTE(tfoster7189 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:21 PM) *
They now seem more accepting of the NLS sinking pellets that I have been feeding them. As soon as I drop some in, they start toward the top to meet it rather than letting it go to the bottom and ignoring it. What does fall to the bottom is now readily devoured.

Maybe it just took them some time to get used to their new surroundings.
Sounds about right. As does their going to the top to get the food before it reaches bottom. IME some will do definitely that if it's a food they like. In fact, I've had some that would get 1/4 of their body out of the water at feeding time trying to get the food first... all of which kind of wrecks the gulping air by feeding on floating food argument, as I mentioned earlier.

...NLS is a good food, not the only good food, but I did some extensive food testing a few years back and NLS is one of the foods that definitely got me better color than Hikari.

This post has been edited by neutrinoman: Jun 17 2011, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
post Jun 19 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #14
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

So, here are the photos that I said that I would post on here. I know that it is hard to tell the colors because of the actinics. I am running them for the time being, until they get settled in real good and then I will probably switch over to either dual daylights or (1) daylight (1) actinic.

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Jun 19 2011, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
post Jun 19 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #15
neutrinoman

Admin

Congrats, looks like a nice setup and looks like quite the 3D background. icon_thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2011, 08:01 AM
Post #16
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

THANKS, neutrinoman!

I have love / hate feelings about 3D backgrounds. I love the way they look, but hate the amount of room that they take up in the tank.

My mbuna's used to be in this tank until I got my 220. This 90gal. is the only other large tank that I had to setup for these fish for the time being. When I went to get the 110 from the guy, I made sure to have the 90 up and running, just in case I came home with more fish. He told me that he had these Fronts. for sale and it really perked my interest as I have never seen Fronts. for sale at any LFS. within 125 miles from where I live.

+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #17
neutrinoman

Admin

I have love / hate feelings about 3D backgrounds. I love the way they look, but hate the amount of room that they take up in the tank.
Exactly why I like looking at them, but I've never done one. laugh.gif

Fronts can be addicting (can also be frustrating if someone's not reasonably patient, taking longer to reach full size, longer to breed, etc.).

But they're not the easiest fish, adult groups need large tanks, they have their own set of quirks, and aren't as easy to breed as Malawis, etc. But they can make a beautiful/impressive tank and their behavior is more varied than some other Africans. That is, they don't spend all their time either chasing each other or swimming up and down the glass saying feed me, feed me. They have a kind of graceful, regal way about them, though someone who likes constant activity may think it's boring.

+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #18
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

QUOTE(neutrinoman @ Jun 20 2011, 09:49 AM) *
They have a kind of graceful, regal way about them, though someone who likes constant activity may think it's boring.

My wife thinks that they are boring. She says "They don't do anything. why in the hell did you want them." I told her that I have always liked them since the first time I was into cichlids.(before I went reef) You just don't see them in the LFS. I like having stuff that is different.

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Jul 7 2011, 09:14 PM

+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #19
neutrinoman

Admin

QUOTE(tfoster7189 @ Jun 20 2011, 03:57 PM) *
My wife thinks that they are boring. She says "They don't do anything. why in the hell did you want them." I told her that I have always liked them since the first time I was into cichlids.(before I went reef) You just don't see them in the LFS. I lie having stuff that is different.
We get that over on cyphos.com once in a while; they're a comparatively laid back fish and some people want the constant motion of Malawis. But when you pay enough attention to them, over time you realize their behavior is really more varied than typical Malawis, it's just more subtle... Of course, some of that is being able to observe them at different times of day, not just the same hour every evening, etc.

But I like that they're not as hyper, I find it relaxing.

+Quote Post
post Jun 20 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #20
Crowned

QUOTE(tfoster7189 @ Jun 15 2011, 09:34 PM) *
Thanks for that link CROWNED.
If I was going to make an educated guess from the photos, I would say that they are the Burundi variant.

I would agree that they are a Burundi type (Northern) variant.

Nice looking colony. Can't wait to see them under non-actinic lighting lol!!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 03:31 PM
avana dapoxetine