zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Outcast Comp
post Apr 8 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #1
Crowned

A while back I purchased a group of 6 Altolamprologus compressiceps (gold head). All were around 2" and in great shape. From day 1 in my tank, 5 of them are always out in the open and loosely school together, but one of them stays out of site behind a rock.

I never see this fish even during feeding time. The only way I know it's still there is that I make it a point to find it during water changes. It is the second largest of the group, and appears to be in perfect health.

Has anyone else observed anything like this with alto's, or have a possible explanation?

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Apr 9 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #2
tfoster7189

Veteran Member

Crowned,

I have a similar situation with one of my Albino Peacocks. I have 2 Albino Peacocks in my tank and 1 of them swims freely around the tank while the other one is very recluse. It almost never comes out from the cover of the rocks. I will see it briefly at feeding and it looks like it is doing fine as far as size and nourishment goes. It's just that it seems a little more timid than the other fish. Maybe, that is what is going on in your situation also. Almost seems like it's more of a social disorder, instead of being an ahole or sociallite personality, it souds like you got one at the other end of the spectrum.

I just thought that I would share my experience and opinion.

This post has been edited by tfoster7189: Apr 9 2011, 11:20 AM

+Quote Post
post Apr 10 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #3
Haile Selassie I

I have 2 Gold Head Comps. The smaller of the 2 does tend to hide more, but he doesn't do a "Houdini" like yours is doing. In fact, he'll stick his dorsal fin up as high as he can and Bow-Up to the bigger one all the time,,, he looks like he has a spiked mohawk when he does it,,, cracks me up every time.

I think certain fish can just be scaredy cats. Seriously.

This post has been edited by Haile Selassie I: Apr 10 2011, 09:25 AM

+Quote Post
post May 23 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #4
Crowned

Well, last water change I did not see the outcast. So next one I'll pull all the decor out to see what's up.

+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #5
Crowned

Ok so last night I totally dismantled the tank, and did not find the outcast- not even a skeleton. Looked behind the tank too and nothing.

Very strange.....

+Quote Post
post Jun 9 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #6
Haile Selassie I

I've had fish totally disappear as well. It is strange, but at least you now know that your comp wasn't an antisocial.

+Quote Post
post Jun 10 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #7
5th beatle

i had the same thing happen to a lemon jake

+Quote Post
post Jun 11 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #8
neutrinoman

Admin

Never kept a group of altolamps, but when I've had something similar it was often either the fish was not well and finally died or it was keeping a low profile because of being bullied by another in the group.

Any possibility it jumped into a filter? Have had that happen a couple of times. But I've also found a skeleton sometime later even though I looked for it originally, but apparently the fish flipped around and got into a spot somewhere that I didn't check.

+Quote Post
post Jan 12 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #9
Jaredc911

Do you have an abundance of trumpet snails? One of my Shellie's got completely eaten by trumpet snails I saw him when I got home home late from work I planed on pulling him in the am I woke up there wasn't anything left

+Quote Post
post Jan 14 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #10
Crowned

QUOTE(neutrinoman @ Jun 11 2011, 09:03 AM)
Any possibility it jumped into a filter?

Not possible. Filter is a canister.

QUOTE(Jaredc911 @ Jan 12 2012, 07:37 PM)
Do you have an abundance of trumpet snails?

No snails in the tank.

I will probably never be able to figure it out because this fish literally disappeared....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2017 - 04:55 PM
avana dapoxetine