zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please Explain Tropheus To Me!
Rating 5 V
post Jan 5 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #21
Heather

VIP Member

Do tropheus usually hold full term or do ya'll strip and tumble?

--------------------
Thanks for contributing to ...
.....AfricanCichlidForum.com

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2006, 07:42 PM
Post #22
Buntbarsch

VIP Member

QUOTE(HeatherInNH @ Jan 5 2006, 04:15 PM) *
Do tropheus usually hold full term or do ya'll strip and tumble?

Oh Heather, you sure know how to pick a sensitive subject, but this is a good one.

To say it right up front:"I HATE STRIPPING". OK, there it is. Stripping eggs or fry is totally against nature. Stripping is usually done by commercial breeders to get the maximum amount of fry. That I am not interested in.

Then there is the other (sensitive) subject of imprinting. Some people believe there is no such thing with fish and surely there are others that believe the opposite. All I can say is that during my time with the German Cichlid Association we had several experiments going and came to the conclusion that there is imprinting in fish. It took the female fry that was stripped from their mother longer to hold full term then the ones that were left with their mother. So I personally believe that there is imprinting. I have a group of T. Murago that I am growing out. They are about 2" long and I had already 2 females carrying full term.

I found that at the first spawn, they will eat the eggs but the second time they will hold. Now I like to be politically correct here icon_mrgreen.gif , the above are my personal experiences.

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #23
Heather

VIP Member

Klaus..
I did NOT know about that study... do you have and links regarding it? What fish they use?

I COMPLETELY AGREE

I have NEVER stripped my Fronts, Malawians, or Eartheaters (especially).

I want my fish to learn to hold, and especially the malawians, do. All of my yellows I keep currently (many) are decendants from yellows I've had since I was young!!! I just let the females spit in the rocks in the tank. The strongest/smartest fry do not get eaten, and grow quickly! Less stressful for my girls too.... the females don't get harassed while holding because there are TONS of hiding spots.

Some Cyphos (zaires etc.) are known for not holding well... I may not have a choice with my Kitumbas we'll see when I get a whole colony together...

didn't know if Tropheus would be tough too...

Thanks Klaus thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by HeatherInNH: Jan 5 2006, 08:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Jan 6 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #24
Debbie

Site Advisor

Good question Heather...I don't strip either...none of my fish, I don't remove eggs. I agree on the imprinting in fish too Klaus. How many pairs of angelfish eat their eggs 100% of the time? It is so rare for angels to be good parents these days I think it is terrible. Angels are excellent parents in the wild, but the instinct is so far removed from them now they just can't. I would hate to see that relationship lost in tropheus too...although tropheus just spit and run, there is imprinting and that is how fish learn to be parents.

+Quote Post
post Jan 6 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #25
Buntbarsch

VIP Member

QUOTE(Debbie @ Jan 6 2006, 08:45 PM) *
I would hate to see that relationship lost in tropheus too...although tropheus just spit and run, there is imprinting and that is how fish learn to be parents.

Debbie, Tropheus don't spit and run like many others. They look after their young for quite some time and will take them back into their mouth at any sign of danger.

I usually move my females after about 3 weeks into a 10 gal tank [attachment=395:attachment] and let them do their thing. After they release their babies, I keep them in that tank for another week to give the females some time to relax and regain their strength before I re-introduce them back into the group.

+Quote Post
post Jan 6 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #26
Heather

VIP Member

QUOTE(Buntbarsch @ Jan 6 2006, 09:11 PM) *
Debbie, Tropheus don't spit and run like many others. They look after their young for quite some time and will take them back into their mouth at any sign of danger.

YOU MEAN LIKE EARTHEATERS/GEOPHAGUS?!!!!!!!

Looks like the tropheus fairy is going to be visiting.......

(hopefully the tropheus fairy is good at convincing hubbies)
th_killingme.gif th_killingme.gif

This post has been edited by HeatherInNH: Jan 6 2006, 10:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
post Jan 6 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #27
Buntbarsch

VIP Member

QUOTE(HeatherInNH @ Jan 6 2006, 09:25 PM) *
(hopefully the tropheus fairy is good at convincing hubbies)
th_killingme.gif th_killingme.gif

I don't think you will have a problem there. Us hubbies are sooo easy to convince.... wink...wink...

+Quote Post
post Jan 6 2006, 11:13 PM
Post #28
mongo

Jabba the Hutt

"Bunt"...you cant be telling all our secrets. oh well i guess its not that much of a secret...we tend to only think with one think on our minds.

--------------------
MONGO

Negotiation is the art of saying"Nice Doggy"while looking for a big rock.

+Quote Post
post Jan 7 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #29
mongo

Jabba the Hutt

See what I'm talking about...we cant help it...a little billing and cooing and we're putty in y'alls hands.

--------------------
MONGO

Negotiation is the art of saying"Nice Doggy"while looking for a big rock.

+Quote Post
post Jan 7 2006, 11:37 PM
Post #30
Debbie

Site Advisor

Hmmm...don't spit and run, I think mine do...unless they care for them in the ricks where I don't see them. Don't know, I'll have to try to arrange the rocks so that they can't hide from my sight. I spend a lot of time watching the tropheus tank since it is in my bedroom. I have had them for a little over 2 years and have never seen the Moms paying attention to them...wonder if mine are defective...I just might have to get more...and another tank. Or maybe try the 10 gallon tank with Mom and babies...that would be cool.

Heather there are some benefits to being single...like calling the tropheus fairy when you want to! But heck I'm sure it's fun to try to convince hubby that you really need more fish.

This post has been edited by Debbie: Jan 7 2006, 11:41 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 03:58 AM
avana dapoxetine