zofran online
IPB
Welcome to AfricanCichlidForum.com, an online community dedicated to African cichlids, where aquarists from beginner to advanced may find and share reliable information and quality advice regarding all aspects of African cichlids and their care.

If this is your first visit, be sure to register for a free account to gain full access to AfricanCichlidForum.com. As a registered member you will have access to post topics, community forums, communicate privately (PM) with other African cichlid keepers, respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please check out the FAQ or contact an Administrator.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please Explain Tropheus To Me!
Rating 5 V
post Jan 2 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #11
fishboy

VIP Member

that is the problem, i have no one around here that is into tangs. I have never seen them in any LFS around here. The place in hamilton, ohio has the most reveiws of any place online retailer at cichlid-forum.

--------------------
180- 32 WC tropheus malagarasi 75g-mbuna, soon to be eureka red colony
55g- cycling, to house 2m/8f ngara flametails
20g long- 54 malagarasi fry(180g has about 15 more in it)
20g long- 27 .5 inch ngara fry
20g long- saulosi and afra cobue fry(has my new breeder cobue in it)
10g- labeo. trew. mphanga fry

Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #12
Heather

VIP Member

This is potentially a dumb question... but ......
Are there any 'dwarf' varieties or are they all the same size?
If i was going to get another tank, the only one I think I can talk hubbie into is a 55 g for now because we have a double 55 stand currently with only one tank icon_mrgreen.gif
Are there any tropheus that would be comfortable in a 55?
I don't care how easy variants are to get... in fact I'd rather keep something fairly hard to come by thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Thanks for contributing to ...
.....AfricanCichlidForum.com

+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #13
markw

Advanced Member

Heather, I have 5 seperate Tropheus colonies, mostly all in either 90's or 120's. I have had my colony of Kayserll (Kiriza) in a 55gal. for several years now. Even though it shouldn't work, and I am constantly maintaining the numbers at 14adults(1lucky male and 13 females) They breed constantly and I pull the fry out regularily to maintain that number. It is not over filtered, but I am "religious" about weekly water changes. There is one corner with lava rock to the top and they seem very content. It goes against logic, and I started them out of necessity that way, but it seems to work. Might not with any other colony or numbers, but I just thought I would throw it in!
Markw

+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2006, 01:54 PM
Post #14
Buntbarsch

VIP Member

I totally agree with Markw. The "Kiriza" are one of the smaller types (about 4") and having only 12-14 in the 55gal, especially if you buy them as juveniles, should work.

+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #15
HornPlayer54

I'm Batman!

Hey BB-

Might you have a higher res version of that map? Maybe a bigger one? I tried to soom in to read the text, but I can't read it.

BTW- congrats on mod. This is a great thread!!!!!!

--------------------
Let's talk CICHLIDS!!!!

Best,

Matt

+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #16
Zallyn

Advanced Member

QUOTE(HeatherInNH @ Dec 30 2005, 09:43 PM) *
What's the deal with tropheus?

For me the deal is when I first started keeping fish....for real....I came upon some photos by Fredrik Hagblom and just started searching from there. I guess it would be there activity and social structure along with there fascinating colors that have kept them a constant since.

It's a good thing I never new how difficult they were suppose to be because I would have missed out on alot.

My oldest daughter says they capture me because we are alike, soon as the light is on.... we are on.

I've kept a few different colonies with 3 groups of F1 juvys at present, I've kept them in 40's...55's... now they only go in 75's and 90's and the numbers always start out above 24.

If your in the market I'd take a look at bluechip aquatics, been really good to me.

--------------------
Can the child in your heart overcome the adult in your mind ? Why can't you be more like me and less like you.

+Quote Post
post Jan 3 2006, 02:31 AM
Post #17
mongo

Jabba the Hutt

Thanx guys for de-mystifying thses guys for us. part of the reason i have never messed with trophs, is because they were supposed to be such prima donnas. And as much as i like the way they look, it just didnt seem to be worth the time. But now I think I'm going to be giving "Trainers" offer some serious thought. Thanx again you guys.

--------------------
MONGO

Negotiation is the art of saying"Nice Doggy"while looking for a big rock.

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #18
Longstocking

I'd just like to touch on one thing not mentioned. Tropheus CAN be kept with many other fish.... you do not have to keep them in species only tanks. Now if you are dealing with small tanks your options are limited... and what I mean by small is 4 feet tanks.

This is just my opinion... but I've tried most of these:

Gobies (small tanks works thumbsup.gif )
Petrochromis
Simochromis
Julidochromis
V. moorii
S. petricola

I'd like to add... Out of all the fish in my fish room... In my opinion... tropheus are probably in the top 3 of easiest fish to care for. (All but 1 tank is tang) It's all hype... they are easy... just do your water changes and don't let your ph/kh fluctuate too much and you should have fry in no time.

The bad rep. comes from people that kept these fish in too small of tanks... with not enough of them.

This post has been edited by Longstocking: Jan 5 2006, 02:43 AM

--------------------
Sarah

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2006, 02:56 AM
Post #19
mongo

Jabba the Hutt

tropheus are probably in the top 3 of easiest fish to care for.

I dont think I have ever heard that said about
Tropheus in the entire time I have been keeping fish. "Long", you make it almost sound doable. Thanx for posting...you guys (Bunt, "Z", Heather and the reat) are sure making it hard for me to keep ignoring my urge to try some Tropheus. Looks like I'll have to get some and see for myself. Mrs.Mongo says thanx alot you guys...just what she needs...me hooked on new fish. fies010.gif

--------------------
MONGO

Negotiation is the art of saying"Nice Doggy"while looking for a big rock.

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #20
Longstocking

OK I might have exagerated a tad... maybe top 5 LOL but they aren't hard... they just remind me of mbuna.... IMO sand sifters... feather fins... some rock dwellers... are MUCH harder.

Gobies.... well they have a very interesting rep. I've kept 2 of the 3 species. They aren't as mean as people like to say IMO. 4 feet tanks to get a pair.... once paired you don't need all those crazy rocks.... the reason you need those rocks in the beginning is that they are MEAN during the pairing off process. I have a pair of spathodus (wild) in a 55 gallon with tropheus.... I have a total of 4 rocks in that tank... noo problems and breed like rabits. The gobies though... IMO are harder than the tropheus ( at least in terms of raising up fry and getting them to be a happy pair).

--------------------
Sarah

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 03:30 PM
avana dapoxetine